Dutch apple pie, is like regular apple pie but somehow better. Just take the same amazing apple pie filling and you put sugar, butter and flour on top! How could it be any better than that?! If you have ever wondered how to make Dutch apple pie, it’s nothing to be intimidated about. It’s really simple, and of course, delicious.
How to Make Delicious Dutch Apple Pie
Apple pie is my favorite kind of pie. All pies are delicious. Although I don’t particularly love pecan pie, pretty much any kind of fruit pie is my favorite pie. Apple pie is comfort food though and just hits the spot on so many occasions.
The best part about apple pie is that it’s so versatile. For instance, you can have apple pie at Christmas and on 4th of July. It’s the quintessential American dessert and I don’t know a person who doesn’t love it. Out of all pie though, Dutch Apple Pie is my favorite.
Related: How to Make Canned Apple Pie Filling
Ingredients Needed For The Dutch Apple Pie
- 5 baking apples (baking apples are basically tart apples, like Granny Smith or jazz. In this recipe I used granny smith apples because that’s what I had on hand.)
- 3 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Cloves
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Pie Crust, unbaked (if you need an amazing pie crust recipe, please see: Simply Delicious Homemade Pie Crust)
Ingredients Needed for The Topping
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup Butter (room temperature)
How to Put This Delicious Pie Together
- Take your five apples, peel, core and slice them. They have these really cool apple coring appliances if you do a lot of stuff with apples. Otherwise, feel free to do it by hand, it’ll just take a bit longer. Then, put them in a large mixing bowl.
- Add your flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, lemon juice, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. Mix until the apples are completely coated in the sugary goodness!
- Pour the apple mixture into your beautiful homemade pie crust!
- In the same mixing bowl (to save on additional dish washing) combine the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar and butter until mixture is crumbly. Pour and spread evenly on top of the pie.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes (or until browned and hot all the way throughout). Your pie will be bubbly and delicious!
Take your pie out and let a cool a bit, but not too much! It still needs to be warm so you can serve it with that delicious vanilla ice cream! This will be the perfect accompaniment to any holiday dinner or great for a summer barbecue. Enjoy!
PIN THIS FOR LATER
Classic Dutch Apple Pie
Easy and delicious, this classic dutch apple pie will be your go-to recipe for apple pie from now on!
For the Pie
- 1 Pie Crust
- 5 or 6 Baking Apples Peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/8 Tsp Cloves
For the Topping
- 3/4 Cup Flour
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Butter Room temperature
Peel, core and slice 5 baking apples.
Put sliced apple in a large mixing bowl, combine lemon juice, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Mix until the apples are coated and all the ingredients are mixed well.
Fill the pie crust with the apple filling.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, brown sugar and butter.
Spread evenly over the top of the pie. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Cook at 375 degrees for 50 minutes, until pie is browned and apple filling is bubbling! Enjoy!
Leave a Reply